Sleeve Gastrectomy part 1
More than 650 million people around the world suffer from obesity, which is one of the biggest health problems globally as it leads to many diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, infertility, high blood cholesterol, obstructive sleep apnea, and others. Obesity also affects Mental health of individuals from loss of self-confidence and embarrassment and others.
Perhaps the best thing that helps in losing excess weight quickly is the surgical procedures, the most important of which is the sleeve gastrectomy, which has spread widely around the world and has become very common.
Since the gastric sleeve operation helps to lose weight in the long term, it is possible to lose more than 50% of your excess weight, and this also depends on the habits and lifestyle followed after the sleeve operation.
Who are the candidates for gastric sleeve surgery?
Sleeve gastrectomy is useful for people between the ages of 18 and 65 years who suffer from obesity, where their body mass index exceeds 30 (BMI is an indicator that measures body mass compared to height. An obese person is a person whose BMI is more than 30.).
1) Obese people with a BMI of over 40 and needing to lose a significant amount of weight.
2) People who suffer from obesity where the body mass index is more than 30 and also suffer from serious diseases due to obesity such as high arterial pressure, type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea.
In the beginning, the sleeve gastrectomy was performed by surgery, where an incision was made in the abdomen, but this method has
disadvantages, the most important of which are:
1) The surgical incision leaves a large scar that needs plastic surgery to remove.
2) It needs a longer recovery period after surgery unlike endoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, which is much better.
What are the most important features of sleeve gastrectomy using laparoscopy?
1) The aesthetic aspect is better, as it is a stream through very small incisions around the stomach, through which a medical scope is inserted to cut the stomach, then these surgical incisions are stitched with cosmetic stitches that do not leave scars at all.
2) Also, the speed of recovery after the operation, as the patient is discharged from the hospital on the same day or the next day in most cases.
What is the mechanism of weight loss in the process of sleeve gastrectomy?
The sleeve gastrectomy operation leads to a decrease in the amount of food eaten by the patient, as the size of the stomach decreases to become about 20% of its original size. The sleeve gastrectomy operation also reduces the feeling of hunger, due to cutting the part of the stomach responsible for secreting the hunger hormone.
Will you reach the ideal weight immediately after the operation?
The sleeve gastrectomy operation helps to lose weight in the long term, the result will not be obtained directly, contrary to what some think. You will lose about a third of the extra weight during the first three months after the sleeve gastrectomy, and after a year you will lose about sixty percent of the extra weight and you will reach the ideal weight and lose the extra weight after about a year and a half, as this depends on the habits, lifestyle and diet after the sleeve gastrectomy.
What are the side effects of gastric sleeve surgery?
The sleeve gastrectomy operation is rarely associated with serious side effects if this procedure is done by a competent expert doctor. Among the side effects that may occur and disappear within a short period:
1- A person may suffer from pain and discomfort in the stomach during the first two weeks, and the doctor then advises taking painkillers.
2- The sleeve gastrectomy operation may be accompanied in the first week of its procedure with a feeling of nausea and vomiting sometimes.
3- If a healthy diet and lifestyle recommended by the specialist doctor is not followed, the person may suffer from other health problems and disorders.
Thus, we find that the sleeve gastrectomy operation is one of the most important surgical procedures to lose weight significantly, as it leads to a loss of approximately 60% or more of your excess weight within two years, which led to its widespread use due to its effectiveness.